Return of the Prodigal Blogger

The past week has been a flurry of activity and the weekend ahead looks long and tempting. Last Monday we had a group of Hada guys over to play poker (No Limit Texas Hold Em) – I got some very lucky cards throughout the evening and walked away at the end of the night with $60 :). So on Friday I took my winnings to the spa and had a facial and a massage – and, discovering they were having a sale on Phytomer, I also managed to convince myself to stock up on all the skin care I needed – storing the cleanser and toner I don’t really need in the fridge until I run out again :). Once finished there I headed over to C&E’s were I met up with Tay and we had dinner with the Tenches.

On Saturday Tay and I got up early and ran some errands together – we’ve been spending the past couple of Saturdays together running errands and doing stuff around the house which has been really nice – and even though I know how much he dislikes it, I’ve been loving having him at the grocery store with me. Saturday afternoon we hung up our exterior Christmas decorations and then, when we went back inside I convinced Tay to make me a hot chocolate – I don’t know quite how he makes it but it’s decadent and involves lots of cream and sugar. Then came the task of setting up the Christmas tree (which I desperately hate, unbending all those fake pine needles always dries out my hands and causes scratches up my arms). While I did that chore I detest, Tay did the OTHER chore I hate desperately, which is cleaning the fish tank)!

Sunday was our Christmas Tree party – we ended up having 12 people over and so I spent the day preparing the food – I even made and decorated a cake, but my runny Christmas tree and sloppy handwriting on the cake quickly dashed all hopes of my ever being a complete Martha-Stewart-like hostess. Regardless, the food was good, the company was great and the tree turned out…interesting (the left side of the tree is filled with decorations while the right side is somewhat bare… and the red ribbons (which I found at the very end) are all placed haphazardly along the bottom of the tree in clusters). The tree only almost fell over once and only one decoration was broken (by me…in my overprotective attempts to protect the decorations I love the most, I dropped a delicate pink decoration brought to me from Stacy from home a couple of years ago – I remember these decorations from when I was growing up and it used to bring me such joy seeing a decoration on my tree that used to be on my parents :(. Maybe next year Stacy will send (or bring?!) me another :).

Monday I spent recovering from Sunday, and then on Tuesday morning I woke up with a nasty stomach bug – spent the morning near the toilet – it was awful – and then slept away most of the afternoon. Wednesday was a long day at work – we had an event running most of the day in the gymnasium and by the time I got home I was beat.

Then today, I got an email and a phone call asking why I hadn’t updated my blog. I figured I better before the masses started to riot :).

So here I am, and that’s what I’ve been doing, and that’s all I have to say.

For now.

3x Thursday

12/09/y2k+4: Relax!

1.During the busy week, what do you do to relax? I read a lot on the subway and on my lunch hour… or some lunch hours I blog, like I am now. And lately, Tay and I have been watching a couple of I Love Lucy episodes before I go to bed, which is nice :). And in the new year, I plan on getting back to the gym (been a very bad girl lately!)

2. Are you ever just *so* busy that if you don’t take a break, you’ll explode? How do you handle situations like that? I don’t let myself get to that breaking point – I don’t see the point. I used to get pretty worked up in my last job but so much was expected of me and I could never say no. The best thing for me to do when things start to build up like that is to acknowledge that I’m at my breaking point and walk away from it – a 5 minute walk, a chapter in my book, a phone call or a blog that I know will make me laugh.

3. How do you keep yourself from becoming overwhelmed? What happpens when you *do* become overwhelmed? How do you calm yourself down? Staying organized is key for me, I’ve started using a dayplanner at work which is saving my life because everytime I turn around, there’s a meeting or something or other. I set realistic deadlines, and focus on doing one thing at a time. And I’ve learned to delegate as well :). Even on the weekends I’ve gotten into the habit of writing a to-do list – and I’ve been so much more productive as a result. As a result of these little habits that I am procuring, I don’t get overwhelmed much anymore :).

Bonus Question for Comments: How do you get thru a stressful day? Just one step at a time. That’s about all you can do :). Looking forward to an I Love Lucy with your hubby an the end of the day helps too!

Ha! I just saw a squirrel run across the gabled roof outside my window. He was cute!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s